Thursday, June 4, 2015

That’s what scorpions do




That’s what scorpions do


                                                                                                            Stes de Necker



The senseless violence and murders we are experiencing in South Africa, reminded me of a story I once heard about a frog and a scorpion.

The frog and the scorpion were stranded on an island in a river, when the scorpion said to the frog:
“The water is rising and if we do not get off the island soon, we will both drown. You can swim, but I cannot. Let me climb on your back and then you can swim with me on your back to the other side of the river where we will be safe.”

The frog thought about this for a moment and replied:
“But I do not trust you! What guarantee do I have that you will not kill me on the way over?”

The scorpion replied:
“I promise that I will not kill you, especially not after you would have been so kind to me.”

“Ok” said the frog, “get on and let’s go.”

Halfway across the river, the scorpion stung the frog, and in his dying moments, the frog said to the scorpion:
“What have you done!...  How could you! … You promised!  Now we both gonna die!
Why did you do it!?”

The scorpion replied:
“Because that’s what scorpion do!”

Perhaps we should stop trying to find the answers in complex explanations and experts’ opinions. Perhaps the answer was always in front of us; we simply did not see it.

“THAT’S WHAT SCORPIONS DO!”  

No comments:

Post a Comment